A Game Economist model is mostly a simplified framework for describing the workings of the relationships between game and players. It exerts the discipline of forcing the modeler to formally articulate assumptions and tease out relationships behind those assumptions.
Models are used for two primary purposes:
- Simulating (e.g. how would the game economy change relative to some counterfactual if we assume a change in this or that variable) and forecasting (e.g. what the game economy might look).
- How would your players respond to the introduction of this or the other feature: is your game going to the inflation crisis or you should free up resources? Should we introduce another level of abstraction such as meta-game and if yes what impact you believe it would make?
Economic models are great tools – given what we know about the behavioral workings of the game, and taking these mostly as given, how might the economy respond to, an introduction of a new slot machine or giveaway of a generous bonus? Is it going to encourage activity or reduce the incentive? These are just a few questions you would be answering.
Skills and Requirements:
- You have a passion for quantitative analysis and will have the ability to draw business insights which will add real value to Product Madness.
- Communicating with stakeholders and data scientists and delivering comprehensive analysis you would have to make sure that quality of your team-work answers business requirements with clear business message and insight.
- You will need to demonstrate the ability to learn quickly and will have worked in a fast-paced and collaborative environment. This role will involve working with teams and individuals across the company - such as Product Directors and Managers, Data Scientists, Business Performance and CRM managers, so excellent communication skills are essential.
- Degree in relevant field required (Behavioral Economics, Economics, Psychometrics, Operations Research, possibly Physics, PhD in any of above is a plus).
- Analytical coding: Using tools such as Python, R, Matlab (and sometimes Excel) for analytical purposes.
- Must have good working knowledge of SQL.
- Strong understanding of Numerical Simulation methods (Monte Carlo, Metropolis-Hastings and so on).
- Knowledge in the games industry or similarly sophisticated customer-facing digital businesses
- Robust understanding of more advanced statistical techniques suitable for analysis of highly skewed populations.
- Experience in predictive analytics, segmentation, and related areas; experience in experimental design.
- Skills with standard reporting tools such as QlikView/Tableau/etc.
- Smart – intellectual skills.
- High integrity.
- Highly numerical
- Analytical and logical thinker.
- Pragmatic problem-solver - someone who looks for solutions rather than worrying about problems.
- Collaborative team player.
Product Madness burst into life in 2007 as the brainchild of two Stanford Business MBA graduates who possessed an innate love of gaming. Initially, the entrepreneurs developed casual games for Facebook and mobile, before having a ‘light-bulb moment’ in 2009 and refocusing their efforts with laser-guided precision on the exploding social casino genre. They have been bringing world-class social slots to real slots fans ever since! Now part of Aristocrat Leisure, Product Madness have published hit titles Heart of Vegas, Cashman Casino and FaFaFa on Facebook, iOS and Android platforms and have grown considerably in size over the past year with offices in London, Austin, Las Vegas and San Francisco.
Product Madness’ dedication to promoting diversity and inclusion is clearly reflected in all our content and across all our platforms. Diversity is more than a commitment at Product Madness—it is in the core values of what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, maternity, marriage or civil partnership, religion, race and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
What is great about working at Product Madness?
A spacious kitchen in our state of the art office in swanky Farringdon which includes free cereal, fruit and onsite Barista, weekly breakfast and lunches plus an awesome games room that includes table tennis, PlayStation, Foosball table and Yoga studio. On top of this we have a top 25 grossing app!!!
- Up to 5% employer pension contribution with Aviva
- Private Health insurance with Vitality
- Full dental insurance
- Life Insurance
- Long term disability insurance
- 25 days’ holiday
- Employee assistance programme
- Bonus scheme
- Eyecare vouchers
- Events throughout the year
- Free coffee shop/free food throughout the week
- Subsidised Gym